Choosing A Drug Test
Questions to ask yourself when looking for a drug testing kit
What drugs do I need to test for?
Different drug testing kits detect different drugs and some now also detect alcohol.
As you can see the list of what is available is quite extensive. The good news is you do not need to test for all of these drugs. The most common drugs used and tested for in the UK in our experience over the last 20 years are at the top and in bold.
Here is the list of drugs that can currently be detected on a rapid onsite drug test:
- Cannabis (Weed, Marijuana)
- Cocaine (includes Crack)
- MDMA (Ecstasy, E)
- Amphetamine (Speed)
- Opiates (Heroin, morphine and Codeine and all opiate painkillers)
- Ketamine (K, Special K)
- Benzodiazepines (Including Valium and Xanax )
- Methamphetamine (Crystal Meth, Ice)
- Synthetic Cannabis (Spice, K2 and K3)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (including Amitriptyline)
- Cannabinol (not illegal)
- Cotinine (Nicotine and smoking)
- 6 mam (just detects Heroin use )
How far back do I wish to detect drugs for?
This is known as the detection window for the drug test
Where and how will the drug test results be used?
Onsite drug testing kits
These are very accurate screening drug tests, and as such they are great for your initial first line drug screening for any drug testing. The result from a rapid point of care drug test kit is sufficient to suspend an employee from work, or a pupil from school or to commence treatment in a healthcare setting.
If the result of the drug test is likely to be needed in a tribunal or court case then a confirmation laboratory drug test ( the most accurate drug test there is) should be sent off.
Advantages of rapid point of care drug test kits
- Rapid results in minutes
- Easy to use
- Very accurate 97-99%, when compared to a laboratory drug test
- Low cost per test when compared to a lab test
- Can be used anywhere
- A wide range of drugs can be screened for
Rapid onsite drug tests are ideal for:
- Workplace drug screening
- Healthcare screening
- Home drug testing
Laboratory drug test
This is the most accurate drug test that is available and is the gold standard to which all other drugs tests are compared.
Advantages of laboratory drug test:
- The most accurate drug test you can get
- You get a certificate from the UK lab
- Results are admissible in court or an employment tribunal
Laboratory drug tests are ideal for:
- Court cases
- Confirming positive results on an onsite drug tests
I'd like to speak to someone
We're here to help you if you would like to speak to a human
Telephone 01263 731 168 Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm
or you can email UK Drug Testing