Urine Drug Testing Kits Guide
A guide to the different types of urine drug testing kits available
Why choose urine drug testing kits?
- The big advantage to urine drug testing and the reason why it is still the most popular method of drug screening is its low cost when compared to either saliva or hair drug testing.
- Urine drug testing kits that work by lateral flow enzyme immunoassay, are still one of the most commonly used methods of drug testing in the UK.
- Detection time in urine is much longer and more reliable for some drugs and in particular Cannabis compared to saliva drug screening.
Multidrug urine drug testing kits are available in two formats
- You can either go for an integrated cup urine drug testing kits where the drug test panel has been integrated into the drug test cup.
- Some of them also have a temperature strip and adulteration strip built into the test cup.
- This is the best form of drug testing kit for workplace urine drug testing, as the urine sample can be easily retained and sent for laboratory confirmation if required.
- They cost around £6 per test when you buy them in bulk packs of 25 test kits. They are also available singly.
Multi-panel urine drug test kits are cheaper to buy that integrated cup test kits
- A multi-panel urine drug test kit detects multiple drugs on one test and gives an individual result for each drug.
- The drug test prongs stick out of the test card. The number depends on the test panel.
- A 10-panel test for 10 drugs and has 10 prongs that stick out ( 5 on each side ).
- To perform the test the cap must be removed from the test kit to expose the prongs, and then it is dipped into the urine sample for the required time. To perform this test you will require a test cup.
- These are available to purchase separately.
Single urine drug testing kits are also available in two formats
Single urine drug test kits are available in either test strip or cassette format
Urine drug test detection times
- As a general rule most drugs of abuse are detected in a urine sample for between 3-5 days after last use although there is some variation from drug to drug, see detailed information on detection times below.
- The exception to this is Cannabis ( also known as THC, Marijuana, Hash, Hashish or Hemp ) which can be detected for up to 30 days in some heavy Cannabis users.
- Cannabis urine drug test kits
Urine drug testing kits codes & abbreviations-what do they mean & how long can the drug be detected for after last use?
- AMP 1000ng/ml Amphetamines Speed, amp or whizz. 2-6 days
- BAR 300ng/ml Barbiturates Depressants, Barbs, Downers 3-8 days
- BUP 10ng/ml Buprenorphine Subutex 3-6 days
- BZO 300ng/ml Benzodiazepines Benzos, Rohypnol or roofies 2-14 days
- COC 300ng/ml Cocaine Coke, crack or Charlie. 2-5 days
- KET 1000ng/ml Ketamine, Special K or K 3-5 days
- MDMA 1000ng/ml Methylenedioxymethamphetamine Ecstasy or E's 2-6 days
- MET 1000ng/ml Methamphetamines Glass, ice or meth. 2-6 days
- MOP 300ng/ml Morphine, Heroin, Opiates, smack or gear 2-5 days
- MOR 300ng/ml Morphine, Heroin, Opiates, smack or gear 2-5 days
- MTD 300ng/ml Methadone Dolly, Red Rock 2-8 days
- OPI 2000ng/ml Opiates Heroin, smack or gear. 2-5 days
- PCP 25ng/ml Phencyclidine Angel dust or peace pill 3 - 8 days
- TCA 300ng/ml Tricyclic Antidepressants TCA 6 -10 days depending on the duration of drug use.
- THC 50ng/ml Marijuana Cannabis, puff, spliff, Marijuana, Hashish, Hemp or hash. Casual use 2-14 days heavy use up to 30 days.
- EDDP 300ng/ml EDDP screening tests. Detects for up to 5 days after use
- OXY 300ng/ml Oxycodone 2-5 days
- PXP 300ng/ml Propoxyphene 2-5days
- COT 200ng Cotinine (nicotine) 2-5 days
- K2 / K3 Spice 50ng 2-3 days
Does a urine drug testing kit indicate how much drug has been used?
- A urine drug test kit screens the urine sample for the presence of either the parent drug or its metabolites, however, it does not indicate how much of the drug has been used or the level of the drug in the sample.
- A positive result only indicates that the drug or its metabolites are present in the urine sample, at levels at or above the detection level of the test kit used.
- To get an exact level of the drug a lab urine drug test would need to be performed