Drug Testing In The Workplace
Drug testing in the workplace where to start
We have put this information page together to help you If you are new to workplace drug testing and wish to start drug testing your employees.
There are several types of workplace drug test
- A pre employment drug test-this is where a prospective employee undergoes a drug test as part of the recruitment process. This may be done externally by a recruitment company, occupational health service or it may be done in house by the company itself.
- Random drug testing-this is where an employer randomly drug tests their employees.
- Post incident drug test-this is where there has been an incident at work and the manager or employer suspects that drugs or alcohol have been consumed.
- On suspicion drug test-this is where an employee appears to be either under the influence of drugs or alcohol while at work.
Workplace drug testing kits
Rapid onsite drug testing kits
These are drug testing kits that an employer can use to quickly screen employees for drug use. Onsite workplace drug testing give immediate results, but they are screening drug tests and any non negatives ( ie positives) should always be confirmed with a laboratory GCMS drug test, if disciplinary action is to be taken:
Types of onsite workplace drug testing kits
- Urine drug testing kits (very popular, easy and can detect for up to 3-5 days after drugs have been used. The easiest drug tests to start with and excellent value for money. Best method for detecting Cannabis use)
- Oral fluid saliva drug testing kits (very popular-a little more tricky than urine drug testing. Shorter detection time for drugs only detecting drug use for up to 12-24 hours after use. Not easy to detect Cannabis or Methadone on saliva drug tests. More expensive than urine drug testing but still good value for money )
- Drug and alcohol testing kits (usually saliva based mouth swab drug test kits and very popular as screen for drugs and alcohol in one drug test)
- Alcohol testing kits-these are available as alcohol test strips or single use breathalyser kits, and they just screen for alcohol.
- Hair drug testing kits ( unusual in UK workplace drug testing. Long detection period (up to 3 months ) makes this unsuitable for workplace screening in most cases. More suited to court cases or criminal justice. Only a couple of drug can be tested for on an instant hair drug test kit. Most have to be sent to the lab which is expensive. More expensive than urine or saliva drug testing).
- Surface drug testing kits-these are used to check a powder or to screen a surface for drugs if you suspect drugs may be being used at work. Useful if you think powder drugs such as powder Cocaine are being taken at work.
- Fingerprint drug testing-this is one of the newer forms of workplace drug testing and currently this is limited to just a few drugs. Finger print drug tests are a more expensive option than urine and saliva for workplace drug testing in the UK. The prices may come down as the tests become more widely available.
Laboratory drug testing kits
These are the gold standard when it comes to workplace drug testing. UKAS accredited GCMS lab drug test packs. These should be used to confirm any non negative onsite drug test results, and to assess the amount of drug that is present in the sample.
How common is drug use in the UK workforce
Drug use in the UK has increased over the last 10 years. Recent surveys of the UK population conducted in England, Wales, and Scotland reported drug use rates of 9.4% in England and Wales, 12% in Scotland, and 5.9% in Northern Ireland.
The highest rates of drug use where seen in the teenagers with 38% of 15 year olds in England, and 21% of 15 year olds in Scotland saying they had used drugs as some time in the past.
Which drugs are the most commonly abused in the UK
The 5 most commonly used illegal drugs in order in the UK are:
The UK also has relatively high levels of misuse of Opiates and Benzodiazepines (both of which are very sedating) and of course we must not forget alcohol
Most commonly abused legal drugs:
Most commonly detected drugs on random drug tests on Prison population:
- Synthetic Cannabis such as Spice (widely used in prisons)
- In Scotland Buprenorphine is the most commonly detected drug on prison drug tests
What drugs are tested for in the workplace
There are a huge range of drugs that can now be tested for on a workplace drug test in the UK. We have listed the most commonly used drugs above, so it makes sense to include these 5 drugs on your onsite workplace drug test.
We recommend testing for at least the following 5 drugs on your workplace drug test:
If your workforce are likely to have been in prison consider adding the following drugs to your workplace drug tests:
- Synthetic Cannabis such as Spice
Also consider whether you wish to also test for alcohol
UK Drug Testing recommended urine drug test kits to start drug testing in the workplace
We realise there is a lot of choice so here are our top three recommendations if you are new to drug testing in the workplace and would like to do urine drug testing. These all screen for the 7 most common drugs in UK currently and are very quick, accurate and easy to use.
- ALLTEST 10 Panel Workplace Split Key Cup Drug Testing Kits DOA-1107-B1-TRAM/KET
- ALLTEST 10 Panel Workplace Urine Drug Test Kit DOA-1104/KET
If you would like to screen for a wider range of drugs:
If you would like any help or advice please contact our customer support team during our office hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm.
Source for drug use data https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-drug-situation-focal-point-annual-report/uk-drug-situation-2019-summary
UK Drug Testing recommended saliva drug test kits to start drug testing in the workplace