Drug Testing Tips
UK Drug Testing Tips
We have put together this list of general tips to help you with your drug screening
- Make sure you have everything that you need before you start
- Read through your instructions before you start and be sure you understand them
- Familiarise yourself with the drug test kit that you are going to use. We have a series of training videos available on YouTube if you need for most drug & alcohol testing kits that we sell.
- If you are performing an onsite drug test in a workplace setting and there is likely to be disciplinary action if the result is positive, we recommend that you have at least one laboratory confirmation chain of custody urine drug test pack available on site, so that you can confirm the test result. We sell these and they can be ordered when you order your drug test kits.
- If you are doing the drug test on another person for example in a workplace then make sure that you have consent.
- Use a timer as all onsite drug test kits need to read at a specified time. Varies from test to test.
- Keep good records. Download our free to use editable procedure and records form.
- If you get a positive result check if the person you are testing has taken any medication in the 5 days before the drug test was performed. If you need any help or advice on cross-reactivity and if a consumed medication may influence a result then contact our customer services team
- It is advisable to wear latex gloves to perform the multi-panel urine and saliva drug testing kits. These do not need to be sterile.
Always keep good drug screening records
- Follow a simple drug test procedure and keep good, clear records.
- We have provided a simple template form for you to edit and use.
- Download UK Drug Testing consent & record form from here
Saliva Drug Test Tips
All the general tips above apply to saliva drug testing. Here are some additional ones that are specific to oral drug testing.
- It is very important to familiarise yourself with the individual test kit that you are using as they vary considerably in design
- You must wait at least 20 minutes since the person has eaten or drunk anything
- It is vital to collect an adequate saliva sample to thoroughly wet all elements of the test membrane.
- The collection swab should be wiped all around the oral cavity and mouth including under the tongue and inside of the cheeks before it is saturated with saliva.
- Ask the person being tested to feed saliva onto the collector
- A 12 in 1 or 13 in 1 saliva drug test kit will require more saliva to run the test than a 6 in 1 oral drug test kit.
- If the saliva sample is inadequate only part of the test membranes will run. Try putting it back in the mouth and collecting more saliva. If this does not work you may need to run another test.
- If the oral fluid test kit does not run fully the most likely reason is inadequate saliva sample collection. The collection device needs to be really wet with saliva.
- If you think that your test may be faulty then add some water to the test. If the test then runs the problem was inadequate saliva sample.
- It is advisable to wear latex gloves to perform saliva drug tests. The gloves do not need to be sterile.
- See our full range of saliva oral fluid drug test kits
Urine Drug Testing Tips
All the general tips above apply to urine drug testing. Here are some additional ones that are specific to urine drug testing.
- It is important to familiarise yourself with the individual urine drug test kit that you are using and make sure that you have everything you need to perform the test.
- If you are using a multi-panel test you will also require a separate urine collection cup that you dip the test kit into.
- It is best to perform the drug test on a freshly produced urine sample so that you can be confident that the sample is from the individual that you are testing
- Be aware that some individuals being tested may try to add water from the toilet to the urine test to dilute it. It is worth adding a coloured toilet block to the cistern of the toilet that you are using to prevent this.
- The urine sample should be at body temperature if it fresh. Some integrated drug test cups have a built-in temperature strip so that you can check it is at body temperature.
- Urine adulteration test strips are available so that you can check if the sample has been adulterated or diluted in any way. Some drug testing kits have this built in.
- It is advisable to wear latex gloves to perform the multi-panel urine drug test kits to avoid coming in to contact with urine
- Multi-panel urine drug test kits are the cheapest option but do require an additional collection cup
- If you are using a 6, 7, 10 or 12-panel multi-panel drug test make sure you read the results on both sides of the test kit.
- Integrated cup drug test kits are the best option for workplace urine drug testing
Tips For Interpreting Drug Test Results
- Always read the result at the correct time (use a timer)
- Do not go back to a test and read a result after 10 minutes
- A negative result ( ie no drug detected) is when you get a visible Control line (C) and a visible Test line (T)
- A positive result is when you just get a Control line (C) but no Test line (T)
- The two lines do not need to be of the same intensity
- A faint T line is still a negative result
- The strength of colour of the T line is not of any significance